Is Online Learning Right for Me?
Utah Students Connect / Jordan Connect Survey for Students Considering Online Learning
Please choose your best response to each statement below. When you are finished, total your points to see if Online Learning is a good choice for you.
1. I am motivated to take online coursework because
a. I want to improve my educational experience
b. I am looking for something different than traditional school
c. I think online courses are easier than in-building classes.
2. Having face-to-face interaction with my teachers is
a. Not particularly important to me
b. Somewhat important to me
c. Very important to me
3. I would classify myself as someone who
a. Often gets things done ahead of time
b. Needs reminding to get things done
c. Puts things off until the last minute
4. Online coursework
a. Requires as much, if not more, effort than similar in-building classes.
b. Requires less work as similar in-building classes
c. Is self-paced
5. When the instructor gives direction for an assignment, I prefer to
a. Work through the instructions myself
b. Follow the directions on my own, then asking for help as needed
c. Have the instructions explained to me
6. I need teachers to constantly remind me of due dates and assignments
7. Considering my personal schedule, the amount of time I have to work online is
a. More than an in-building course
b. The same as an in-building course
c. Less than as an in-building course
8. When I am asked to use email, computers, or other new technologies
a. I look forward to learning new skills
b. I feel apprehensive, but try anyway
c. I put it off or try to avoid it
9. As a reader, I would classify myself as
a. Good, I usually understand the text without help
b. Average, I sometimes need help to understand the text
c. Below Average, I often need help to understand the text
10. I intend to login to my courses and check my messages
a. Daily or almost daily
b. 2-3 times a week
c. Whenever I think I need to.
Total your survey:
A=10 B=7 C=1
80 points or higher
You may be an excellent candidate for Online Learning
Online coursework may work for you, but you will need to make significant adjustments in your schedule and study habits to succeed.
Less than 60 points
Online coursework is most likely not the best alternative for you